The image is horrifying so we should never forget




This is the picture. It's the one I see in my mind when I really don’t want to, the one that will always be there and never go away.

It’s the car the driver drove, while talking on her cell phone, that hit my son, who was pedaling his bicycle home from work, that amputated his leg and killed him.

His name is Devin.

I’m not really sure how long he lived after he was hit, as the driver kept driving with him on the car for 800 feet and didn’t stop for three-quarters of a mile, and didn’t call 911 until … when? 

According to her police statement, she was on the phone. Her phone records show there were three calls to or from her boyfriend at 12:34 a.m., 12:35 a.m. and 12:45 a.m. She told police the crash happened shortly after the first phone call. She said she heard someone say, “Hello,” then she closed her eyes for a long blink and heard a bang.

If the crash happened shortly after the first phone call, that means it happened after 12:34 a.m. but before 12:35 a.m. The last phone call at 12:45 a.m. lasted one minute and nine seconds, and then she made the 911 call.

Did Devin lay dying in the road for 11 minutes before she finished the third call and then called 911?

Why do I think about this stuff?

This is the car that hit my son and killed him. I don’t have to point out the passenger side is crushed in, do I?

Dear God, why do I recreate this moment in my mind?

He’s pedaling down the road of Highway H after leaving work at the Renaissance Faire. He was in a well-lit area, with light from two factories pouring onto the road. The accident reconstruction said the driver should have had 4.7 seconds to see him, react and avoid the collision. But she’s on the phone, dear God, and she’s closing her eyes! I want to be there. I want to scream at her: “Open your eyes and drive! Hang up and drive! Look at the road in front of you!”

Devin is pedaling, oblivious to his pending death, unaware he only has seconds or minutes to live. No idea his life ends at age 21.

Why does she not see him?!?!? Why does she not stop???? 

4.7 seconds.

She hears someone say hello.

She closes her eyes.

One second ... two seconds ...

He’s pedaling.

Three seconds ...

The headlights blind him. 

Four seconds ...

There is nowhere to go.

She hits him. Dear God, she hits him. 

Terror explodes in his brain as the fender makes contact with the bike and it begins to crumple. His leg is torn from his body. Does he feel it?

He hits the hood. He’s thinking, “What the hell … ”

She doesn’t stop. She keeps driving. Oh God, the blood. He’s slammed into the windshield. His back is broken. His arm is mangled. His neck is snapped. Look at the dent in the roof! She keeps driving. He finally falls off after 800 feet. She keeps driving! She doesn't hit the brakes. She doesn’t stop until she comes to the intersection of Highway H and 165 three-quarters of a mile away.

And she finally calls 911 at the same exact time two of Devin’s friends drive up and see his body. They know it is their friend, and a moment later another driver sees Devin's shoe, and the bike, and this driver knows something is wrong, something is terribly wrong, and this driver slows down and she calls 911, too.

And the driver, now that she has stopped, she calls 911 at the same time.

Within minutes there are paramedics and cops and they talk to the driver. The paramedic picks up Devin’s back pack, lying in a ditch, parallel to her car. If she hit him three-quarters of a mile away, how in the hell did the back pack end up there?

So many questions, so many fucking questions.

The paramedic finally realizes there is a human being lying in the road. His name is Devin.

And now he’s dead.

Look at the car. 

Now tell me you can drive safely while talking on a cell phone.

How many more people have to die? How many more people have to cry? How many more people are left to plaintively ask, “Why? Why? Why?”

Please, in honor of my son, share this story on your Facebook page. E-mail it to your friends. Post it on your refrigerator. Read it to your kids before you give them the car keys. And when you are in your car and your phone rings, just leave it alone.

In honor of my son, save a life. Hang up and drive.

His name was Devin.



Comments

  1. Gary, my heart is broken for your family ....again. I know that you truly don't want anyone else to go through this. Know that I talk about Devin's story and urge everyone to put down the phone. I have stopped using mine when I am driving and tell people who call me when they are driving to hang up and call me when it is safe to do so. I will keep Devin in my heart and your message at hand. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dawn. Every person who hangs up their phone while driving, and tells this story, makes a difference. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one should ever ...I repeat ever have to endure this , My heart goes out to you everyday , because of this my sons phone is a phone only no texting and he was told when he started drivers ed right after you lost your son under no circumstances is he to talk and drive have your passenger answer it or let it be and we agreed if he calls us later and says I was driving no harm no foul! She shouldn't be driving if she had no clue what had happened , sorry jsutice wasn't served ! God bless you and your wife !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary, bless you and your family. May your son be at peace. This was such a gripping story. I am so sorry for your loss, and you are so right. I'm so tired of incompetent and irresponsible drivers. It's rampant drivers on cell phones talking and texting. I took a picture at a stop light a few weeks back of a school bus driver texting while driving..how would you like your children on that bus! This has to stop. My heart is breaking for you and anyone else that has lost a child to this ridiculous irresponsible act. I have children and not a moment goes by that I do not fear this. We must all do more, petition, write our congressmen, whatever it takes! I will post your story and stand by the statement that if you need to use the cell phone pull over, save a life. God bless you and thank you so much for sharing and inspiring others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jodi, for your kind words and helping us to get the word out!

      Delete
  5. Gary, Utterly horrifying. I've always tried not to use my phone while driving, but since learning of Devin's death last year, I've completely stopped using the phone while driving. If it rings, I give it to my wife or son/daughter. If I'm alone, I let it go to message and check when I get to my destination. It's not worth the risk. My daughter is learning to drive, and I have her put her phone on silent, and stick it in the bottom of her purse.
    No one should have to endure what Devin did that night, or what you and your family have over the past 13+ months.
    God bless you and your family. I believe your efforts are saving lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott: Thank you so much for breaking the habit, and for the encouraging words to keep going.

      Delete
  6. This brought me comfort when my brother died at age 19 in a freak single car accident. I know Ellen.

    Behold the Empty Place
    Eugene S Hunt

    I called my God in question
    Lord, how can this thing be?
    To let the wicked woodsman
    Cut down this precious tree
    Thou could have took an older tree
    That wind and time had worn
    Why take this young and perfect one,
    That never fruit had borne?

    On whispering wings of silent thought
    My God then answered me,
    Who told thee that the woodsman
    Had harmed our perfect tree?
    I’ve had this tree transplanted
    Removed it from thy face
    Look to where the young tree stood
    Behold the empty place.
    Yes, I have land more suited
    For such a wondrous tree
    And one so full of promise
    I wanted close to me.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I am only 17 years old and learning how to drive. I will remember not to use a phone while driving and I will remind my friends to do the same. I feel sorry for you and your family's loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicholas. If one person hangs up their phone while driving and it saves a life, then my son's life was not in vain. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is Heaven for real?

Where tooth drillin' and deer killin' go hand in hand