An excerpt from Devin's Way, Chapter 4


CHAPTER 4
            We got back to my mother’s house and I collapsed in a chair. I tried to call Ruth once more, got her voicemail again, and hung up without leaving a message. She would get it soon enough. I knew they canoed the day before, and were probably hiking today.
            I called up my e-mail and did something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. I clicked on the photo Lou sent and blew up to a larger size.
            On the screen in front of me was a tightly cropped face shot of Devin, obviously taken on the highway, obviously dead.
            It was Devin, but did I really think it wouldn’t be?
            He was dead.
            I called Lou back to make it official, and asked him to tell me more about the accident.

            “Gary,” Lou said, “I will never lie to you. There are things I won’t tell you, but I won’t lie. He did have lower body trauma. Again, Gary, I am so sorry …”
             What wasn't he telling me? I didn't have the will to ask.
            We continued talking a few more minutes. It's as if I was watching my body go through the motions. It gave me a strange, small comfort that Lou was giving me this information -- that someone who knew us was taking care of this part, but it didn’t change the fact that Devin was dead. I knew Lou was sorry. I knew this was more personal than other stuff he had to do.
            The next few minutes were spent calling the emergency number for my government travel to get a return flight as soon as possible. Surely, the death of a son would warrant a seat on an airplane, any airplane, to get back to Wisconsin. While the travel agency put me on hold, my phone beeped. Another phone call was coming in.
            I looked at the screen.
            It was Ruth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Heaven for real?

Where tooth drillin' and deer killin' go hand in hand

The image is horrifying so we should never forget